A satisfying and health-giving dish for February. Oat groats are incredibly filling and naked oats in particular are packed with beta glucan which is said to support the attenuation of seasonal shifts affecting our circadian rhythm and is also used to enhance heart health, as it can reduce cholesterol levels. The nutty flavour of the oat risotto is offset by the sharpness of the wine wine and balanced by sweet seasonal roasted carrots.
Couple of glugs of extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
7-8 average sized carrots (use more or less depending on size)
1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
1 onion, diced
265g whole naked oat grains (or oat groats)* – we recommend these from Hodmedods
750g vegetable bouillon or chicken stock
250g white wine
150g goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade
- Scrub the carrots and trim off the top and bottoms. Slice them in half or quarters lengthways so they are all approx the same size. Lay on a baking tray with the thyme and whole garlic cloves (in skins). Drizzle with olive oil, season and roast in oven for 20-30 mins (until soft in the middle and begin to crisp at the edges.
- Mix together the stock and white wine.
- Whilst the carrots roast, sautee the diced onion in olive oil until translucent, then add the oat groats. Stir to cover the groats with oil.
- Add the stock/wine mix a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Wait for the liquid to be absorbed each time, but don’t allow it to dry out completely. Continue until the groats are soft enough to eat but still with a ‘bite’ to them, then remove from the heat.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and mash with the roasted carrots roughly with the back of a fork, then stir into the risotto along with the butter.
- Top with goats cheese, roasted hazelnuts and flat leaf parsley to serve.**
*You can do this recipe with risotto rice, but the oats are particularly good with the roast carrots.
**For a vegan serving, replace the goats cheese with tahini and the butter with Vegan Block